Arise Kenya Arise....

Arise Kenya Arise....

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

For such a time as this!

For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance will arise from another place, but you and your father's family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to the royal position for such a time as this.
The book of Esther is famous for the verse quoted above. This is one verse that humbles me out of my human arrogance and pride and reminds me that I am not all that in a bag of chips. It reminds me that God’s work will be done inspite and despite of who I think I am. My take out is usually that it is a privilege and honour to be used of God as Esther stepped up and stood in the gap for the Jews.
It also reminds me of the Mordecai’s of this world who will tell us the truths that will make us take that plunge. It is the above statement that led Esther to say that she will go to the King without his summons, an act which was equivalent to treason. She called for a fast and said even if she will die, let her die. It is this act of courage that saved the Jewish exiles in Babylon.
Every generation enjoys privileges bestowed on them by the older folks. My generation in Kenya did not fight for independence yet we have enjoyed the fruits of it. We are the generation that finished off the agitation for a greater democratic space that was started in the late eighties. Every generation has a responsibility to make things better for themselves and for those who will come after them. You were created for such a time as this, step out; you cannot coin an excuse good enough to excuse yourself.
As much as I am humbled by the fact that I am dispensable, I have a duty to step out and do what I need to do. Meanwhile you need to seek the face of God and fast and pray as an anchor to the whole process. Mordecai was a man who through simple acts saved the Israelites from annihilation schemes of Haman the Agagite. This is insight that if one wants to have an impact of change in this world you must pray to God to always keep your sight ahead of the pack.
This is the time.


2 comments: