Arise Kenya Arise....

Arise Kenya Arise....

Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Power of the tongue



Do not let your mouth lead you into sin. And do not protest to the temple messenger, “My vow was a mistake.” Why should God be angry at what you say and destroy the work of your hands?
Ecclesiastes 5:5-7

There is power in words. My good Pastor Ambrose Nyangao at Parklands Baptist Church puts it very clearly- that if you keep calling your child a goat he will bleat at you one day. I do not always acknowledge the born again cliché of speaking into each other’s life either just for the sake of it.

Years ago when I was in secondary school, I did History, Social Ethics, Christian Education, and Geography. I was good in History and always earned the least in Geography despite being the best in my class.  In Form Two we were supposed to choose one of the four. In the final term, we sat for the hardest of the Geography papers- on rocks. I came out top of my class though I still scored the least compared to all the Humanities. What mattered is what the teacher a Mr. Adembesa wrote on my answer sheet- a promising Geographer. I still remember it because this is what made me choose Geography instead of History.

What astonished me is that when I joined University and I had a choice to pick three more units, I took Geology. I studied the earth and the science part of Geography and I loved it. Then it hit me- STOP, a teacher had said a few years earlier that I was a promising Geographer. Here I am a trained Geologist serving the Lord in earnest.

Watch the words you tell the younger people in your life, it may just come to pass. When someone is good in something affirm them and pray for them, you might just lead them towards their destiny.

©  23rd January 23, 2011                                                                                             kenyatta otieno

1 comment:

  1. I was reading the Nation Sports on Monday on Wilfred Bungei- Olympic 800m champion, and he had this to say;

    " He (sports teacher) said that I had potential to run yet I wasnt the best runner in school, I went home and thought why did he think that of me, may be he saw something in me that reminded me I can make it."

    ReplyDelete