Arise Kenya Arise....

Arise Kenya Arise....

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

When Things Change:- tokelezea

I was named after a fisherman, my grandmother used to call me ‘jalupo’ dholuo for fisherman. I go fishing once in a while when I am at home; it is the way of life for my people. Having grown up in Western Province, going to my rural home is always an experience. I came to learn that fishermen are very good Geographers who can predict the weather and forecast seasons.




To get them to the fishing grounds faster, they rely on wind. To them wind is feminine- the wind from the North to the direction of Kisumu is called nyar Kisumo, it blows in the morning. The stronger afternoon wind that blows from the South- direction of Migingo is nyar die nam dholuo for the lady from the middle of the lake. The fishermen go fishing with nyar Kisumo then nyar die nam brings them back in the afternoon. Many times they have to hang around Rusinga Island to wait for the wind to change direction.

I have realized that God created everything for a reason and a season. In life sometimes we have to flow with the system. We may want to change direction but we will still have to wait for the wind to drive us there. The other option is to use extra effort in paddling against the wind. When the wind changes direction, like my people of South Rarieda, just raise your sail and it will absorb the wind. God will make you cruise faster to your destiny. UTATOKELEZEA.

Whoever gave wind a feminine noun must have had very good reasons. I will dwell on that next time.

©  6th September 2011        kenyatta otieno   

No comments:

Post a Comment