Arise Kenya Arise....

Arise Kenya Arise....

Thursday, October 13, 2011

I when I grow up I don't want to be a pilot or a soldier...

The first desire a child will have after watching an aeroplane fly high above is to fly it.It looks like the ultimate job, away from the common things on earth. My earliest dream was to get into radio, I had memorized most radio commercials and would sing the common songs of the time. I loved the way Hamini Themo would say 'samahani nitarudia tena' in the one o'clock news bulletin.

Then I visited my cousin who was an officer in the Armed Forces and fell for the army. I prayed for the day I will join the forces and be an officer like him. Little did I know that the two careers I desired will forever remain a dream. A stammerer can not be recruited into the army and definitely cannot read the one o'clock news. It was also disheartening to hear that I can never get a flying license as well just because I will be at risk if I can not communicate with the controls clearly and on time.

Stammering is not a disability just like being short sighted or colour blind. From the above examples, it is obvious that it leads to loss of potential. It is good if the society realizes this and assists children who stammer to scale the heights in that which they are good at. Even if I cannot fly, be in the army or read news, I am good at very many other things. It is about living a full life even with lost potential.

sharing stories, changing perceptions.....

No comments:

Post a Comment