Arise Kenya Arise....

Arise Kenya Arise....

Saturday, May 14, 2011

You Must lose to Gain

For whoever wants to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.                                                                                                       (Mathew 16:25)

I was a volatile university student in many ways. This was a result of a combination of Marxist ideologies and a desire to change the world. I did not know that to change the world I had to change myself first. One of my lecturers must have taken note of this but kept it to himself. One day while on a field excursion looking at rock formations in some remote part of Kenya, the lecturer went on a rabbit trail. This detour from the discussion was to take me to Mathew 16:26; what will I gain if I win the whole world and lose my life?

This is a biblical as well as a life principle, if you do not risk something you don’t get anything. To gain love you must lose part of you to your object of desire. To get a profit you must risk your money in an investment knowing very well it may go down the drain. It is a word in business that if you fear loses, you will never get profits. This comes out clearly in the book of Ruth in many ways. 

Elimelech risked by going to Moab and died their, his wife walked back home with a daughter in law only. Ruth let go of her life in Moab, and she found more in her life in Bethlehem. Boaz knew by marrying Ruth, a Moabite, he might lose as it was against the Jewish tradition and he later found it in abundance. Opah and the closer relative to Elimelech saved their lives and missed out on eternal blessings. 

Christ has promised us that if we lose our lives for his sake we will find it. I am convinced beyond words that this is the only way to greatness. As we keep on this ‘soap opera’ of Ruth in Bethlehem, it has great lessons on love and life. Let yourself loose in Christ and find your life with more value added not only here on earth, but heaven as well.

© Copyright 12th May 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment